Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Still

I'm still quilting this...
I've been trying to work on it every night but it's slow going.  I can finish about 4 or 5 blocks in an hour - that's not too bad.  I like that the pattern is mindless - just straight lines so I don't have to keep turning and rearranging it to quilt.  I really wish I had made this quilt larger - it's a twin so I can't use it on my bed.  I think I might quilt my giant 85 x 105 inch Y2K quilt this way. (yeah, it's 11 years old and still not quilted)
 
 I dread quilting that giant thing because I'll have to use my giant quilt frame (big circle hoop on a stand) to do it.  There is no way I can lap quilt this thing.  I HATE quilting in a hoop or frame.  Hate it.  I'm sure Mark loves to hear me say that after I had begged for the giant quilt frame.  I've had it for about 14 years and only used it for one quilt in all of that time.  But my sister...she told me last week that hers is still in the box!!! lol.  We bought them at the same time.  I can at least say that mine is assembled and has been used...once.

5 comments:

Deborah said...

It's a gorgeous quilt! I don't like using the hoops either and for the last few ones I've quilted, I just used my dining room table, rolling the quilt up on both sides toward the middle and starting the quilting in the center and working out from there. But you probably do get better results with a hoop or frame because of the tension.

Kris said...

I like both those quilts!

dulcy said...

Absolutely beautiful Mary! I'm lusting for a nice full quilt to cover our queen size bed. Also, still considering the iPad. Not quite there it, but I see it in my future...

Kathryn Glover said...

Beautiful quilts. I've recently finished a quilt with machine quilting and it is just not the same. Hand-quilting is a real labor of love.

Follow Me Home said...

OMG! I haven't heard anyone mention a Y2k quilt in years. I thought we all faded into to quiltland. LOL I sit looking at my boxes of little squares and just recently thought, "i'm never going to get to that, let me just take out enough for a table runner..." but I just can't seem to let go of them! Yours looks wonderful. I even have a really nice pattern but I just think how long it will take me! Did I swap with you? LOL