Wednesday, November 24, 2010

It Was Almost A Catastrophe!

I am really happy to have these few pieces from the kiln firing yesterday.Because when I opened up the kiln it was a big mess! All of the wires that my things were hanging from bent and everything was stuck together! I even had a few things stuck to the kiln posts so now I have glaze on them that will have to be sanded off! I was so upset - I thought I had lost everything. I did lose these three. They all have chips and rough spots from were other things were stuck to them.It's so sad - I really liked this button - I'll have to remake it.I like this heart, too - It's a prettier red in person.and I like these earrings. They aren't as dark in person. I'm going to put wires on them so I can wear them tomorrow.These are the glaze samples I was firing with them. The big blobs of white on some of them are where they were stuck to something! rrrr Frustrating, but at least I can still use them since they are just the samples.The sample on the left is buff stoneware and the sample on the right is porcelain. The colors really aren't that different on the two clays. When I purchased that buff color I thought it would be a huge difference so I'm a little disappointed in it. These three are the only ones that show a real difference. The buff stoneware makes the glaze in these colors a little darker.And I have most of these pieces ready to go into the kiln today with the glass, but after yesterday's disaster I'm even more nervous about this!I won't be able to fit many in because they have to be flat (and I don't want to ruin everything) so these are all going to have to wait.and that diamond shaped one above doesn't have a hole!!! I don't know what I'm going to use it for now!some of these are really big too - Molly asked if I was trying to be like Flavor Flav! LOLI was thinking of them more as an ornament for the tree than for me!LOL And I finished the bracelet for my mom. I must have remade this 10 times! I finally decided that the whole point was to give her a bracelet made with my beads so I just added a little bit of silver in the spacers. I'm happy with it now - I think she will like it and that toggle will make it easier for her to get it on and off by herself.That's it for me - wish me luck on the glass firing today. I just finished making some cookies for the kids who don't like pumpkin pie and now I need to get the rest of my cleaning finished. Happy Thanksgiving friends! See you on Friday (maybe tomorrow if I have time before my company comes) with the photos of the glass results. Have a great day.

2 comments:

Dag said...

aaah, so sorry you lost a bunch of pieces and got glaze where it shouldn't be!! what was the reason? wrong wire?
i definitely wish you luck for the next go! do you have the kiln going over night? i bet it takes quite a while for everything to cool down!
you have been one busy beaver, girl! - i can't wait to see the glass - what an interesting technique!
good luck!

Heather said...

Oh noooooo. Well if it makes you feel any better. They look beautiful to me! a kiln something that I have always wanted to buy. I can't wait to see the ones with the glass in them. Beautiful!