Friday, November 5, 2010

Books and Howard

This has been a busy week so I haven't had time to knit, stitch, or play with clay, but I have been thinking about making ornaments. I usually like to work small with most things being 8 x 8 inches or 6 x 6 inches squares. But I am really thinking ornaments right now. This is the stack of books that I have been loving this week - lots of inspiration in them. I collect books by Janet Bolton because I love folk art. I don't like perfect little shapes and perfect little pictures and perfect little stitches. I like the wonkiness of folk art.and I just bought this book. This gal doesn't work with fabric - everything is pastels, but I love her wonkiness! She reminds me of Janet Bolton.and anyone who loves donkeys like I do must be fabulous! I definitely need to make some donkey ornaments or mini quilts. I want to use fabric and wool together in them.Look how cute that donkeys face is - it's like Howard! I would definitely torture that face. Speaking of Howard...I have to show you his ear because I love it. Luckily, he is right here taking a morning nap.It's this ear...oops, he apparently doesn't want to show you the ear...we're having a little battle...I'll need the flash because he's making this blurryGod that face! lolHe has surrendered. So, anyway, it's this ear. I love it's silky soft spottiness!look, now he's mad. He won't look at me.that's okay, I'll just move around to the front...because I love this nose.Poor Howard. Will the torture never end? I'm sure he's thinking 'curse my good looks! why must I be so damn cute!'
So back to books... I'm freaked out by vodou, but I love their sequin/bead art!I want to do some ornaments like this. All (or mostly) beads and sequins. I am all about the sparkle especially on a tree. So even though I haven't been able to actually get to any crafty stitchy stuff, I have been admiring and sketching in anticipation of some quiet time this weekend. I have so many ideas it's hard to slow down and actually pick one to start working on. Do you get like that? Wanting to do so many that you have trouble focusing on just one and actually starting and finishing it? I've noticed that it has been happening to me a lot lately. My mind is moving so fast with ideas that I can't focus and I end up just sitting there with all the supplies at the ready and nothing is happening because I'm like....blaaaaaaah where to begin! Do I want to do this or this or this or this or this I better hurry because I don't have much time! blaaaaah craziness and pretty soon my time is up and I have NOTHING. I think I'll do a little yoga quiet flat on my back on the floor eyes closed quiet music for five minutes thing first and see if that helps. Of course I'll have to lock the door and put headphones on with my quiet music blaring so that I can't hear my family yelling for me from all over the house but I'm hopeful :O) very hopeful. Happy weekend!

2 comments:

Deborah said...

Looks like you've got some great books! I love folk art, too. That Howard is just too cute! He looks like the sweetest dog.

randi---i have to say said...

oh my gosh! if you ever want to get rid of howard, send him my way. his name is just too perfect! and he seems like a bit of a comedian. :)