Friday, October 22, 2010

Stitching With Thread and Beads

Good morning! I thought I would show you what I've been working on this week. I have been stitching a little wall hanging.I'm using a lot of vintage buttons on this instead of my usual sequins. I love the look of old white buttons on fabric.I've also been working on some little beaded dolls. The one on the right still needs her collar and sleeves finished - and a skirt.I thought I was going to draw their faces,something like this one that I made for Kellie,but now I'm thinking I'm going to bead their faces instead. This was the very first doll I ever made.I'm not happy with her face. The beading didn't turn out the way I had wanted on her. I definitely learned a lot while making her - like how to stitch it so that the beads don't bunch up - but I still like her. She will always be my favorite one. I also need to add the hair to the two I'm working on.Lots and lots of hair. It takes about 10 hours of beading just to do the hair - I like to add tiny bells in it. A few of the tiny bells mixed in with the beads make a really nice sound.These dolls are one of my favorite things to make. They are small so they fit in the palm of my hand and they have a really nice weight to them. They are very therapeutic to make - not sure why, but they really are. I never have a plan when I start - well, other than the colors I want to use - I just start beading and the ideas come to me as I go.

I've been trying to get a little of my Christmas shopping/crafting finished. I'm glazing beads today for a bracelet for my mother and I still need to buy the wool to make her a felted bag. That's on my list for next week. I love handmade Christmas gifts, don't you?

It's going to be a really pretty weekend and I'm looking forward to some fun. Nothing special, just hanging out with Mark and the kids, but fun. I hope you have a great weekend too!

3 comments:

Kris said...

sweet, sweet dolls! I love it all. Those old buttons are gorgeous.

Deborah said...

Lovely little quilt and exquisite dolls! They are so unique!

dulcy said...

Wonderful, adorable little dolls! My mom made tiny dolls for years and I've always been pulled to dolls. What a great way to show your beading skills! And the hair! Oh my gosh...Those will make very special Christmas presents.