Friday, July 9, 2010

Hand Piecing and an Ice Cream Recipe

Last night I decided to do a little hand piecing so I pulled out some of my Dear Jane blocks to work on. This block nearly killed me.Those curves were killer.I made myself stick with it because I knew that if I stopped I would never EVER go back to it. Anyway, I'm almost finished this block and can move on to a new one. I like to use these tiny tiny sequin pins when I hand piece because they don't get in the way, but I must have dropped them about 20 times - I guess I shouldn't work on little blocks - with difficult curves - with little pins - at night - when I'm not at my best. Hoping for a better time of it this morning.
I was at the grocery store at 6:30 AM this morning! We were completely out of food and I was being threatened with bodily harm by everyone in this house so I thought I had better have food in the house before they woke up. I am going to make Ice cream today. I bought strawberries, blueberries, and peaches but I think I will make the peach ice cream first. I love homemade ice cream! LOVE IT! I'm going to use my old standby easy peasy recipe. I've used several different ones, but this one seems to work great no matter what fruit I use.
Peach (or whatever fruit you want) Ice cream
3 Cups Peaches Peeled and Chopped
1/2 Cup Sugar
1 tsp (to 2 tsps) Vanilla
1 Cup Sweet Condensed Milk
1 Cup Half and Half
1 Cup (to 1 1/4 Cups) Whole Milk
1 Cup Evaporated Milk
Puree peaches with the sugar and half and half. Mix together peach mixture with the milks and vanilla. Turn on machine. Churn for 25 to 30 minutes. Let set in freezer for about 10 minutes before serving. Makes 2 quarts.
This ice cream is a very very light peach color. So good. I've made strawberry a million times but I've never made blueberry - I'm planning to make the blueberry ice cream tomorrow. I'll let you know how it turns out. Have a great weekend friends!

3 comments:

Kris said...

Your ice cream sounds delicious! Love your Dear Jane block! I have another blog friend who is Dear Janeing and I marvel at her blocks too. You should go check hers out!
http://restisnotidleness.blogspot.com/

Have a great productive day!

Dag said...

i'll have to try your recipe! we JUST got an icecream maker and so far tried strawberry yoghurt - i'm hooked!

Deborah said...

Gorgeous fabric. It is so hot, ice cream sounds like a good idea.