Friday, June 4, 2010

Oy, What A Day

Yesterday I went out with my friend for some window shopping and lunch. I was gone all day. Mark was working a half day so only Jason was home. Apparently around 12:30 PM my mom called looking for help because my dad had fallen and they couldn't get him up. Jason went over, got my dad up and said all was well. So I didn't know any of this until I got home at 5:00. I walk in the door and Mark says "you need to call your mom, she was pretty upset today because your dad fell again but he seems to be okay." I called my mom to make sure everything was okay - she said it was - but my dad had fallen in the bathroom at around 9:45AM and had somehow gotten himself out of the bathroom and up against the side of the bed but couldn't get himself up off the floor. My mom didn't get home until 12:15 and apparently she was trying to haul him off the floor while he had his arms wrapped around her arm! GAAAAAH, he's 205 lbs and 87 years old - my mom is 125 lbs and 84 years old!!! They could have broken her arm. I'm so upset about this - they are so stubborn. When I got angry about her trying to lift him she said "My bones are strong because of the tai chi and yoga I've been doing for so many years. My doctor said my bones are in great shape and are strong!" FOR SOMEONE YOUR AGE!!!! You don't have the bones of a 20 year old! They didn't want to call 911. What if Jason hadn't been home? It was just by luck that he was! This is making me crazy. I think I finally convinced my mom to call and get one of those medical alert things that you wear so that if you fall you can push a button and help comes. They don't like to admit that they are old. They don't like all that attention that calling 911 would bring. Oh...well, just sit on the floor for hours then - good idea. So my fun day turned into a stress day. I'm just glad he's okay because he's fallen several times over the last 6 years and has fractured his hip, busted up his face, etc so thank God he wasn't hurt this time but he is sore from having sat on the floor for almost three hours waiting for help. And then there's Jason who isn't trained to lift an elderly person up off the floor. And yes, Jason is 18 and strong, without training he could have hurt himself too.I love these people but they are going to be the death of me! hhhh, thank you for letting me vent so I can move on from this. OH! and there was a message on my machine saying that my ceramic raku class that was starting this weekend has been canceled and they are sending me a refund. What a day! I'm going to have some coffee and check out this kiln manual so that I don't blow up the house. I hope you have a fun weekend. I will see you on Monday friends and I promise I will be in a much happier mood!

2 comments:

Deborah said...

I'm glad they are ok! It is so hard to see them age. My mother is 85 and lives several hours away in Virginia. While not trained in what to do, it sounds like Jason was very responsible and responsive.

Robin said...

I can soooo relate. Vent all you want.