Monday, May 24, 2010

Reorganizing

I pulled out my glass kiln over the weekend to fire my ceramic buttons and decided that I want it to be out and available all the time. So I moved all of my bead storage(blue boxes) and all of my buttons and sequins (white boxes) from here
to here. This is a very full area now!It makes me a little claustrophobic because it's stacked so high, but it was the only solution to all of those boxes. I like everything sorted by color - and the beads to also be sorted by size - and this system has been great.


Moving all of that gave me the space on the cabinets for my glass kiln. It is right next to my desk so when I'm using the torch for beads I can put the mandrel right into the kiln without having to get up and walk to the kiln-very important.
So I loaded the kiln with all of my dry buttons and beads and was all set to fire them when I realized that the glaze I want to use needs to be bisque fired to cone 04 (1940 degrees F) and my glass kiln has a maximum temp of 1900 degrees F. Hmmmm.I can buy new glaze with a cone 05 orrrrr....I could beg Mark for a Ceramic kiln for my birthday! BRILLIANT! Oh Marrrrrk, dearest love, please please please can I have the kiln for my birthday? and can we order it today instead of in August so I can use it right away? So, because he is so fabulously fabulous he said yes! So I am now just waiting impatiently for the ceramic kiln to arrive (hopefully in a few days because it is coming from South Carolina). It's new home is going to be right next to the glass kiln.It's almost the same size. My glass kiln is 9"x9"x9" and the ceramic kiln is 8"x8"x9". I didn't have enough ceramic tiles so I'll have to get one more - I don't think it's really necessary because it comes on a stand and it's intended to sit on your counter, but it makes me feel better knowing that it's on a base that can take heat. The good thing about this reorganization is that it has given me a chance to clear out some things that I no longer want.

I received the high temperature wire that I ordered to make pendants so since I can't fire the beads today, I'm going to just set them aside and work on some new clay items. I also want to make my own stamps to use with the clay so I'll be working on those designs in my journal as well. This clay is addictive. Molly and I have big big plans for this summer with the clay and the glass kilns. I'm so excited. It's great that she is 17 now. I don't have to worry about her being around the glass anymore. I want to teach her how to make some lampwork beads too.

I pick up my glass stuff from the class I took last week tonight. I hope I like some of it. It's tricky when you have to use what's provided by the teacher and you are all picking over the same glass. I'm keeping my fingers crossed - I'll be happy to have just one piece that I like out of it!

As for stitching, I have this project still in the works. I'm trying to decide if I want to make this a bag or a journal. Decisions decisions... I'm leaning toward a journal. I have some sheets of watercolor paper to make the pages and I'm thinking of sewing decorative paper or maybe fabric to the edges of each page. I think that would be pretty cool. And I want to use one of the big buttons I am making as the closure. So for now I don't have anything finished to show you, but there is a lot in the works.

That's what I'm up to...what are you doing? I hope you are enjoying your Monday. Thanks for stopping by.

2 comments:

Deborah said...

What a fabulous place you have for your work! I have been wondering what it looked like. I like the idea of using your latest project for a journal. The process you used looks like fun and I'm planning on trying it. Have fun with your daughter!

Levin said...

can i come over to your place and play with your craft things???
i'm amazed at how well set up you are.
l
x