Thursday, February 25, 2010

Is It Just Me?...

I forgot to tell you this in my last post...I was in the grocery store yesterday. It was pretty empty because it was 10 AM. There were several checkout lanes open and empty. I chose one. And started unloading my cart. I unload my cart from the front (cart end). This woman walks up behind me with her cart. I'm busy unloading and she says...

Lady: I'm not pushing you.
Me: aaaah, okay. (having no idea what she is talking about since she was right ... she wasn't pushing me.)

Then the woman...starts unloading my cart for me....grabbing my french bread and my bananas.

Me: aaaaah, I'll handle unloading my own cart if you don't mind.
Lady: glaring at me. FINE!

I finish unloading - didn't really have much to unload - only about 15 things so not really sure why she felt the need to help. When I finished I walked around to the push end of the cart and pushed my cart forward to pay. and she says "Well! Excuuuuuse me!"

Okay. Seriously. What the hell was that? First ... who touches another persons groceries???! I can see if I were an old person and she thought to assist with my bags or something but really... What if I was OCD?! LOL That could have made me abandon the entire cart! LOL (it damn near did. I know it made my eye twitch! LOL) I do have a method to how I unload so that it's bagged the way I want (hmmm, I may be more OCD than I thought LOL) and then her reaction to me pushing my cart forward. I'm sorry... but what the hell was that? So then the rest of the day I kept thinking about her and thinking was she insane? was she just a complete freak? was she just trying to help and I was not being nice? was I being ridiculous? I would never touch another persons groceries...ever. It's like a line that just shouldn't be crossed. Am I right? or am I the nut job? I'm still trying to work it all out in my mind and it's 10 AM 24 hours later...perhaps it's time to move on. :O)

8 comments:

SD Janet said...

Crazy woman!!! I would have reacted just like you. Get your hands off my food. It takes all kinds to make the world. lol

Deborah said...

I agree with you! It reminds me of a woman right before Christmas who was so obnoxious in the store that I was glad she was in front instead of behind me in the checkout line. Even then she kept darting in and out of line, insisting that her place be saved. When another cashier finally appeared and asked who was next in line, she started screaming that she was and how could she get there, over to the next register. I didn't say it but I thought, you get on your broom and fly there. Later I saw her in the parking lot smoking a cigarette. Guess she should have had it before going in the store. lol

Kris said...

I don't think you should be bagging the mentally ill like this on your blog. Cause that's obviously what she was! Weird! She must be like this all the time though cause she began apologising before she even started being weird. Hope you never bump into her again!!!

Levin said...

nope - she's insane - you are sane. i would never, ever, ever touch someone's groceries unless they asked for help - or sometimes if an old person drops something on the floor and you know it's gonna kill them to bend down and pick it up.
that was one weird woman.
l
x
ps - your method of unloading is perfectly rational - i have the same - i put all the colds together and make sure the bread is last so it doesn't get squashed. does anyone else out there hate squashed bread???

Jackie said...

Yes....I think Its time to move on. Its so hard to understand other people's motives so best to stop thinking about it.

Dotti said...

She's nuts. I pretty much do the same as you at the checkout. Makes it faster to put stuff away when I get home and makes more time for...art!

Indigo Blue said...

I had something similar to this in a BUilding Society (A form of Bakn in the UK) and all of the cashiers were busy and I was next. So I waited to be bizzed for my turn. I did not see that a cashier was available at the very far end! This rude women said to me "are you going to move or not?" I said "she is ready to serve then? and as I walked towards the cashier this female customer said "some people are so weird". She was very aggitated and looking back perhaps she needed a ciggarette as well. Very rude and totally uncalled for and a few eyebrows were raised by those also waiting. If the cashier is not there then they are not ready to serve are they? There are many people in this world you really need to take a time out and look at themselves hard in the mirror.
xx

Dag said...

definitely not you!
- and in no way should you be shoved into a situation where you are forced to think about the whole thing for the rest of the day! soooo weird!