Monday, February 22, 2010

Finished The ROD Journal

Over the weekend I finally FINALLY finished assembling my Remains Of The Day journal. I still have to finish the closure but here it is...It's rather...HUGE! LOLIt weighs 3 pounds!!! I knew it would be big, but I wanted a journal for the 2010 year so I made 6 signatures (instead of the 2 described in the class). 12 months - 6 signatures so that each signature held two months of journaling. There are 12 papers per signature (48 pages per signature, 288 pages total in the journal). Here is a look at the outside...
I'm going to put a poem here and some other things to finish this section of the cover...
This is the inside cover. I'm going to put something here too.
and this is the spine...and that brings me to my issues. I am not happy with how big the holes are. They worked fine for stitching in the signatures, but they are larger than I would have wanted. I have the Martha Stewart screw punch (the white one below).It works great for scrapbooking, punching through card stock and one or two layers of things, and it comes with three punches of various sizes, but for this project...useless. The punch just isn't long enough to go through several layers. I purchased a Japanese screw punch from DickBlick because I had a feeling that Martha's wouldn't work. This brings me to my second issue. The Japanese screw punch is expensive. It comes with many sizes of punches, but I've seen it on line for $60-$82! I didn't want to spend that. I also didn't think I needed all of those sizes in punches. DickBlick sold one with only one tip under bookbinding. So I thought that would work just fine. Well, it did work just fine, but the hole is larger than I would like. So I will have to buy a smaller punch which is going to cost about $8 more. Not happy about that. Anyway it's finally finished (well, except for the closure) and I love it. LOVE it! it's a tad large and heavy but that's okay.
That's it for me today. I'm off to Target and the grocery store before the rain starts. Happy Monday friends!

17 comments:

Diana said...

Mary,
Your journal is amazing, and HUGE! Love your cover, too. I'd love to see some of the pages inside. I'm still working on my last signature so I haven't tried to bind them into the cover yet. A bit worried about that, but I'm sure it will work out.
Diana
http://www.flickr.com/photos/naturegrl64/

Deborah said...

It looks great! I think this is the most amazing project! Too bad you've had such problem with the punches. I'd like to see some of the inside pages, too!

Micki said...

Wow! That is one big journal. Looks fantastic!

Lilith's Children said...

Your journal looks fabulous! I absolutely love your colour combinations.

Jennifer said...

Holy smokes! That's huge ... I love it! I can only imagine how heavy it's going to be at the end of the year when it has 12 mos. worth of pics and journaling in it. You'll have to weigh it again then and see LOL! Have fun playing in it!

Susie said...

Your journal is a rockin Mary. I just love big, stuffed to the brim journals. It just looks so inviting.

Kristi said...

Wow - love your journal! You will be busy this year. I made my journal a bit bigger too because I made so many signatures; yours looks great and will be lots of fun to fill!

LP Vintage said...

That is one giant journal - very impressive!! I would love to see all the pages inside! Good job- congratulations!

dejavucreations said...

Oh my! ... did you say it was HUGE?! Great job with your cover. Your fabric choices make it very lively and inviting. Looking forward to seeing your pages too. /jan

Sherri said...

Great journal! I think the holes look fine. I haven't gotten that far yet. I am still working on my pages. I am pretty intimidated to sew them into the spine, as I have never done any bookbinding. Thanks for the info on the punches. I will have to look into purchasing one myself and I don't want to spend that much, either. *Sherri*

Laura Kay said...

Holy Moly!!!! You are going to need to add to your cover to get that sucker closed once you start adding stuff to it!!!!! It is impressive!!! Great job!!!

Victoria Bolton said...

I sewed all my signatures (4) into my two journals by machine, and bypassed the whole punch issue altogether. (Insert rebel yell here.)

Cathie said...

okay - so not only do you have the largest dog of anyone I know - you know have the largest journal of anyone I know. Things grow "bigger" at Mary's house!!

Love it. Gonna be so fun to write in.

Monkey Mind said...

What a wonderful journal! I just signed on to ROD and I can't wait to start mine. Yours is so inspiring. And large.

Tracy said...

Holy Cow! That is one huge journal. I LOVE your cover. Spectacular! Can't wait to see your pages.
Love the pics of Howard. Great Dane? He looks like my late grand dog Dane Violet. She was the mist awesome dog. My daughter has Chloe who is also a Dane and an english Mastiff named Betty. We love big dogs.
Please make a video of your pages. I need to see them!

Deborah said...

I LOVE this gorgeous, voluptuous journal. The cover is absolutely the prettiest thing I have seen! Can't wait to see more from you.

Debe said...

That is a Journal with a capital "J". So fun to see how each of take certain things and run. Interesting to read your comments on the punch. I am waiting for my LSS to get the Japanese back in so I can use their 40% coupon. Glad I didn't get the Martha as they suggested. Love your Journal!