Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A Little Manic Fabric Cutting...

A few years ago I made a fabric book as part of the Quilting Arts magazine book challenge. It was pictured in this issue of the magazine. Summer 2004 Issue Fourteen It was also included in an art show of art books at the local college. I really had fun making the book. It has 10 pages (including the front and back cover). I stitched the entire thing by hand - no sewing machine at all! The book was all about visiting my sisters house when I was a child. My sister is 15 years older than me - She got married 4 days after my 5Th birthday. Because of the age difference, her children are like my siblings so I would spend a great deal of time at her house during the summer growing up. Anyway, I was looking at the book I had made over the weekend and decided to make another one. This one won't really have a theme though. I decided to make a bunch of 4 1/2 x 6 1/2 inch pages and use them to experiment with different stitches, painting on fabric, embellishments, etc. Just a bunch of pages to take with me in the car to stitch on. Like mini art quilts. So, I went to my fabric collection and just started pulling fabrics from every color, not any set number just randomly selecting fabrics that I liked. Then I cut a 4 1/2 x 6 1/2 inch block out of each one.
Wow! When I finished it was 110 pages!! LOL That's quite a book! I hadn't planned to assemble them until they were finished anyway, so they will probably become several books. Then I was thinking of using it as a challenge. Two blocks a week for a year (with a few extra for when I get extra motivation). So, cutting is all finished and I'm ready to start playing with these blocks. I love working on small blocks like this - very portable. So that's what I'm up to today - Have a great day.

2 comments:

Deborah said...

What a great idea! I'm looking forward to seeing how they turn out!

Jackie said...

Congratulations on appearing in Quilting Arts. That book is so lovely. I get so tied up with your interesting family escapades that I don't always see your textile art, so I must visit your other blog.