Friday, November 20, 2009

What I'm Doing Instead Of What I SHOULD Be Doing

So Thursday is Thanksgiving. My family is coming. The turkey is ordered. And the house needs to be cleaned. My dining room and living room are currently covered in my crafting supplies for current projects in the works, projects about to be in the works, and projects I haven't even come up with yet. So what I should be doing today is getting all of my crap put away...but yesterday I decided to make this for my mom for Christmas... so yesterday afternoon I asked Molly is she would like to go to the knitting store with me to get the yarn. Big mistake! Molly not only helped me with the 2 little balls of yarn for that cowl, but she also helped me do this...So here is what I'll be making...

This little jacket for Molly...(that she plans to wear for Thanksgiving!)
Isn't it cute...
with this...
and another one is this...(for me)
It's in this Noro book. It only takes 4 skeins for size small and 5 skeins for size medium. The books says 4 skein no matter what size, but Maggie the knitting store owner said she recommends getting 5 skeins for medium to make it a little longer. So for Molly's I'm using Noro Silk Garden in 292 and for mine I'm using Noro Silk Garden in 252. They said it is super easy and is a weekend project. We shall see.

For Jason (and maybe Ryan) I'm making this hat...
with 1 skein Lambs Pride Worsted in black (should be enough to make two - I think) and one skein of Noro Kureyon in 233. If I decide to make one for Ryan I'll have to get another skein of Noro.

And for others on my list I decided to make this...
I purchased a dark green ball of yarn too, but they forgot to put it in my bag so I have to run back to the store today and pick it up. I'm using Cascade Yarns 220 Superwash for this because chances are these are going to need washing at some point. I'm going to get a mug for each of them and then make one of these to fit it. I hope they like them.

And Molly who hasn't picked up knitting needles in like 6 years decided she needs a scarf so she picked this yarn to knit one for herself...
she is also using the Cascade 220 Superwash.

And what about the yarn for the project I WENT to the store for...
I decided to go with RY Classic Yarns Cashsoft DK in SH500. I wanted to do it in a pretty color, but I thought she would probably wear it more if it was cream and went with everything. And this yarn is so soft-I love it. So last night I sat down at 7:15pm, cast on 112 stitches to my circular needle and began. And 5 hours later I have this to show for it!
I started and ripped out THREE times! First I dropped a stitch and the pattern is so crazy that I couldn't figure out what stitch is was. Then I misread the pattern and instead of doing ssk, k, k, k2tog I did ssk, k, k, ssk! And I didn't realize it until well into it so out it all came AGAIN! And then try number three...I haven't knit from a chart in years and I forgot that you work a chart from the bottom up and what was I doing...working from the top down! Soooo......rip out again! So here I am today ready to give it another go! If this cowl doesn't come out right with this next attempt I'm going to switch to a back up pattern. Something really really easy. Crossing my fingers that the fourth time will be perfect--but it just may end with a lot of sobbing and some seriously inappropriate language for a mom of four! :O) Happy Friday friends.

3 comments:

Clevelandgirlie said...

THAT's my girl - knitting instead of cleaning, playing instead of working, lollygagging instead of focusing! I LOVE that little sweater. You'll have to let me know just how easy it is - because that is such a cute little thing and my girl would look so cute in it. Can't wait 'til Sunday when I'll be knitting too! Enjoy this beautiful day. It's finally sunny here in NC - woohooo!

Deborah said...

I like your priorities!

Jackie said...

Yes..manipulating yarn is so much more fun than moving dust around!