Friday, June 5, 2009

Recipe and Randomness

I forgot to take a picture of Molly this morning. She is sporting this GIANT X on her leg in big 2 inch wide tape! It looks crazy. It runs from about 3 inches above her knee to about 3 inches below! She can't straighten her leg so she walks with a limp. I'm not really sure what the purpose of the tape is - they told her to keep it on for 2 or 3 days. She is not loving the PT! She's good about going, but she dreads it.

I can't believe it's Friday! The days are just flying by and at the end I keep thinking - where did this day go? I didn't get to do anything I wanted to do! Just one more week and it's summer vacation! hhhhh, I'm ready. And if you could see the outfits that Kellie has been sporting the last two days you would definitely see how obvious it is that I'm ready for vacation! LOL Today...ohhhh lordy. Corally-pink and white striped capri leggings with a bright yellow tshirt and ahhh, purple shoes. mmmmm. That's a look to go with! :O) I'm to the - suuuuuure, whatever you want - point of the school year. I did say "ah, Kells are you sure that outfit works? maybe it needs a skirt over it?" no. I like it. -- Ooookay my little fashionista - who am I to dis' second grade fashion. :O)

And the rain ---- ugh, I can't take another day of rain. My yard is turning into a swamp. They are saying that tomorrow will be hot and sunny. FINALLY! But then next week....back to rain for the first three days.

Oh, I have a recipe for you. This weekend we are going to cook our dinner on the grill - finally after all these days of rain. We called these turtles back in the day, but now they are referred to as dinner packets - very fancy new name, but in this house - they're turtles. So I've made these two ways - basically the same just the sauce is different...

Paprika Chicken Turtles

4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast Halves (about 1 1/4 pounds)
2 Cups Quartered Small Red Potatoes (about 4 or 5 potatoes)
1 1/2 Cups Baby Cut Carrots Cut Lengthwise In Half
1 Cup Frozen Cut Green Beans (from 1 pound bag)
1 Cup Chicken Gravy (from 12 oz jar)
2 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
1 tsp Paprika
1/2 tsp Dried Thyme Leaves
2 Tbsp Finely Chopped Fresh Parsley

1. Heat coals or gas grill for direct heat. Cut four 18x12 inch pieces of heavy duty foil. Place chicken breast half on each piece of foil. Top with potatoes, carrots, and green beans. In small bowl, mix gravy and flour until well blended. Drizzle over chicken mixture. Sprinkle with paprika and thyme.

2. Fold foil over chicken and vegetables so edges meet. Seal edges, making tight 1/2 inch fold, fold again. Allow space on sides for circulation and expansion.

3. Cover and grill packets over medium heat 30 to 40 minutes, rotating packets 1/2 turn every 15 minutes, until juice of chicken is no longer pink when centers of the thickets pieces are cut and vegetables are tender. Place packets on plates. Cut a large X across top of each packet; fold back foil, sprinkle with parsley. Serves 4

These are very good. We make these every time we go camping. We make them up in the morning and pack them in the cooler so that when we get to the campsite (2 hours away) dinner is ready to cook as soon as the fire is ready. I also make them with the same chicken, carrots, potatoes, and green beans - but I use Zesty Italian salad dressing over them instead of the gravy, paprika, thyme. Both sauces are good. I normally don't use frozen vegetables when I cook, but the frozen green beans help with the moisture in the packets so that they don't burn. I also cut the chicken into strips so they cook a little faster. Sometimes if the chicken breasts are too thick the vegetables get mushy and the sauce starts to burn before the chicken is ready.

I'm looking forward to a nice sunny weekend here. I hope you enjoy yours too! See you Monday!

No comments: