Friday, April 3, 2009

It's A Puppet Making Frenzy...

Okay, I'm on a total manic finger puppet making mission! Starting today I need to create some extremely fabulous finger puppets PDQ! Kellie asked for finger puppets for Easter. My kids each get a basket from the big bunny but they also each get a small gift from Mark and I. Ryan handed me his bunny list...ah, bud, this isn't Christmas!...and Kellie just wants some finger puppets. So, I go to Target because they sold them a few years ago. No luck. Okay, I went online to Amazon. WELL! They have them and a little stage. Super cute! I'm adding to the cart, adding to the cart....check the cart total $79.00 - ah, no. So now I'm going to try to whip up some felt critters --- and here is the shocker -- out of supplies I already have! Yes dear friends I'm determined to use what I already have on this project. I know - the mind boggles over the concept of me not going to Joann's for some special finger puppet making supply purchases. Mark said he'll believe it when he sees it. Such a lack of faith! It's going to be hard to compete with puppets like these and these. And I'm going to resist the temptation to go to Lowe's and buy a scroll saw to make the stage! :O) I think she'll survive with a modified old shoe box for a stage, right?


Hopefully by Monday I will have something fabulous to show you - OR - I'll be singing the blues. We'll see.


I was talking a little about cakes here a few days ago...so I thought I would share the icing recipe that I use. This recipe is great because it's not too sweet - it's amazing what a pinch of salt can do - and it's perfect for decorating a cake.

1/2 Cup Shortening
1/2 Cup Butter
1 tsp Vanilla
4 Cups (1 box) Confectioners Sugar
2 Tbsp Milk
1 or 2 Pinches of Salt

Cream shortening and butter, add vanilla. Gradually add in sugar 1 cup at a time, beat on medium speed - scraping sides - add milk and food coloring - till light and fluffy. Can be stored in refrigerator in an air tight container for 2 weeks. Makes 3 cups of frosting.
So, it's raining AGAIN. I have to go to the grocery store and I want to stop in Barnes and Noble to see if they have the new somerset magazines in yet. Have a happy weekend! See you Monday (with hopefully some finger puppets to show you).

2 comments:

Clevelandgirlie said...

Super cute puppets and SURE YOU CAN make some even cuter. What a fun project - puppets and a stage. It's a great excuse for "playing."
Now - what time should I arrive for the puppet show and Cake???

Levin (and Emily) said...

hope those finger puppets are coming along. i have plenty of felt here you could borrow - but it would cost you more than the $79 puppets from amazon to fly over here :)
l
x