Tuesday, April 7, 2009

19 Years!

Today is 19 years of wedded bliss for Mark and I. Here we are running down the steps of the church as our friends and family pummel us with birdseed... I was 24 and Mark was 26.
Our cake was a chocolate mousse cake. Oh, I wish I had a piece of that right now. It was so amazing!

My veil was really long and I wanted to make sure that it was put on properly so that morning I had a hair appointment and after they did my hair they fixed the veil for me. It was so funny driving all alone in my car the 20 minutes back home on the highway in casual clothes with this long veil on my head! People were beeping and laughing! It was so funny.

We had typical Maryland weather that day too. That day we had rain, then snow, then crazy wind, then beautiful sunshine.



The year before we were married Mark had moved back in with his parents to save money. (I was still living at home with my parents) We bought a house and the settlement was one week before the wedding. Very stressful, we weren't sure the house would be finished in time. Our settlement was March 30th and we spent the week before the wedding moving things in, lining cabinets, unpacking wedding gifts we had already received, etc so that when we got back from our honeymoon it would be ready for us. It was the tiniest house! It was only 15 feet wide! LOL From the kitchen table you could answer the front door, get something out of the refrigerator, and check the oven! Our Lab/Dane mix dog Fred broke his tail wagging it in the hall! Crazy small house. We thought, oh, lets get all the upgrades because we are only going to live here for a few years and then we will buy a bigger house and start a family...1 year and 9 months later Jason was born and 16 months after that Molly was born. It was a two bedroom house so in the kids room there was a crib on each wall. It was a toy house and we were living in it with two babies and a giant dog!We lived there for 6 years! LOL Crazy small house. We have such great memories there though. I still love that house.


So now it's 19 years later and Mark is still my best friend. He's a great husband. And he puts up with me!I'm thinking we are going to go out to eat with the kids tonight. We haven't done that in a long time.

I'm off to the candy guy in Pennsylvania today with my friend Cornelia. I need to get the special chocolate for the baskets....and some for me of course! Have a great day.

7 comments:

Jane said...

I juat want to say......
***CONGRATULATIONS***

snow, rain sunshine all in one day?
You sure it wasn't England!
It's lovely to read your memories.

lesley said...

Happy Anniversary! 19 years today, Congratulations! What wonderful memories you have of your special day. Your wedding chocolate cake sounds wonderful. x

Jackie said...

Happy Anniversary!

Kris said...

What a lovely story! (Of course, it probably wasn't that lovely living in the toy house!)

Happy Anniversary!

randi---i have to say said...

Congrats to you both! I hope your day is special!

misschris said...

Congrats!!! What great memories, too. I can imagine how cozy your first few years together were...

We moved all over as kids and my favorite house was a Baltimore townhouse we lived in up until I was 5. There were neighbors and kids everywhere. Heaven, even if it was tiny! :)

Enjoy dinner tonight!

Clevelandgirlie said...

What a beauty you are Mary! Happy Anniversary. And you know what - it is when life is at its LEAST complicated, its purest form, its starkest that we are most in touch with what is "real," what is important. As we go through life, and collect "stuff," (cars, mortgages, credit bills) we loose sight of those rare, pure, simple gifts God has blessed us with. I long for the days when we all four lived in a teeny tiny house, overflowing at the seams with laughter and love. Now Salvatore has moved out and on, and Sabrina before you know it will be off to college - everyone is working, running and doing. I would trade the cars, the diamonds, the sewing machines (!) (yep I said sewing machines) to have everybody all together in our little 8 room house - from way back when.