Friday, March 27, 2009

Stuff

The book cover is coming along slowly. I'm outlining everything with black embroidery floss in a back stitch first and then I will move on the the filling in and background embroidery. This part is slow going - it seems to be taking forever but I think it may be because it's black and I'm just following the drawn line - not terribly exciting. I'm using 6 strands of floss and a Chenille needle to do the outline.
And I will be starting a new trend in the neighborhood - winter wreaths up all summer long! Cool right? :O) A little bird has taken up residence in the wreath on my front porch so now I can't take it down.
I know it's hard to see, but it's there - all the brown stuff...
I can't wait to see eggs in there and then some babies. I'll be keeping my camera handy!
And I love decks of cards. When I was younger I was never without a deck of cards. I played solitaire all the time and if I wasn't playing I was shuffling the cards. It was pretty OCD actually, but I outgrew it. Fortunately, I did not grow up to be addicted to poker or something - I just really loved playing solitaire! Anyhoo, I've started collecting old decks and I just got this one from a guy in England. They came in a leather pocket...
here are the face cards - I think they are super cool!...
a few years ago I saw a deck on eBay that was really really old and the cards were really big but I didn't want to spend the money on them - I always regretted not bidding on them. Looking back it wasn't that much money, but at the time I thought it was too much for a deck of cards. I've never seen anything like them since. Big mistake passing them up.
So I'm off to the mall and lunch with a friend today. Haven't seen her in months so I'm looking forward to it. Tonight is Ryan's last youth center and I'm working the concession. Ugh. It's so loud! I hope the karaoke machine is broken! The songs they "sing" give us a splitting headache! It's very loud and very obnoxious after about an hour and a half on non stop "singing". Not looking forward to that, but I am glad it's the weekend. Hope your weekend is wonderful! See you Monday.

2 comments:

Clevelandgirlie said...

Hi Mary. Happy Friday!
Love love love your little cover thus far. The black outline really makes the colors and design soar - AND - I can wait to see how you do the background. I am learning so much from you. I WILL be copying this procedure!

Birdie - hey - you better be careful how hard you slam your front door or you'll have scrambled eggs on the porch. I'd put a little note up on the inside of the door as a reminder:)

Cards - those are really cool. I see a really cool embroidery of a few of them - much in the same manner as you're doing your Kindle cover.

You inspire me.
Enjoy your lunch at the mall.
And STOP spending all of Mark's money!!! (tell him I said that!! :)
XO
PS I am not speaking to you until you post some new pictures of Howard. After all - that IS why I come around.

Kris said...

Cute birdie! I still have jingle bells on my front door from Christmas. (With no bird) Umm, Christmas 2007. So! I like jingle bells! They make me happy!