Monday, February 9, 2009

Yummy Valentine Treats...

I made the heart sugar cookies and they are just so yummy. Try the recipe I think you'll like them, but I wanted to tell you that this dough needs to be chilled to roll properly. When it starts to get too warm it's hard to work with.I decided that I am not going to buy store bought cookies anymore! They are expensive and filled with chemicals. So I've been making chocolate chip cookies and oatmeal cookies for my kids lunches. It's working out great. They actually begged me to get some oatmeal cookies made for them today! I like the sound of that! So that's what I'm working on this morning...
I also wanted to make some chocolates for them. I have several molds for pretzel rods to be covered in chocolate. This is the valentine one...
I have learned that if you don't want the pretzel to pop out of the chocolate when they take a bite, it's better to overfill the mold a little bit. Not as pretty, but works better I think. Plus my kids like sprinkles on them so a little extra chocolate works better for that as well...
I have molds like this for Nutcrackers at Christmas, and Rabbits at Easter. They are always a hit with the kids. Speaking of pretzel rods, I like to dip them in melted caramel and then dip them in chocolate and cover them with sprinkles too. OMG! Worth every calorie! I had a little chocolate left over so I made some little hearts too...
So, that's what I've been doing today, but I have to tell you about my conversation with Molly...
Saturday night she went to a birthday party at a boys house - very nice, clean cut, in drama and band - you know the type - So I drop her off at his house (parents are home) and I pick her back up at 10:30...
How was the party?
Good. Some of the kids were drinking though.
Where did they get the beer?
Katlin (who is 15 years old) brought it.
Well, where did Katlin get the beer?
Oh, her parents let her drink. They had a party at her house last year for 80 kids and her parents provided beer for them.
WHAAAAAT?!!!!
Can you imagine being that incredibly stupid? It just boggles the mind. Apparently the boy's parents didn't know about the girl bringing beer, but still - did they even make an appearance at the party in their house? or were they hiding upstairs? Parents who want to be friends with their children make me crazy! I have enough friends - I'm trying to raise responsible men and women - I'm not raising friends! Of course this led to the talk about how she needs to make intelligent decisions for herself when she is in this kind of situation, etc. etc. You know the talk. Plus, I reminded her that on top of what I would do about it, there is the fact that Mark is involved with Mothers Against Drunk Driving (he was even the president of a local chapter a few years ago) - I don't even want to think about how he would react to his children drinking and driving! It's bad enough when kids drink at parties, but I just don't understand how a parent could provide it to someone elses underage child???! Insane!

3 comments:

misschris said...

I'd feel good about Molly telling you about it. Those darned parents are fools. FOOLS. At least she is smart enough to tell you about it. Don't you want to narc on them? I'd be tempted to turn those people in somehow... grr. Or contact the parents of other kids that were there and let them know what is going on. That is crazy insane.

Yummy eats, though. xo

Clevelandgirlie said...

What a good girl. She told you about it - must mean she's got nuthin' to hide. Parties - you know, with regard to parties - we really don't let our kids attend. Kids have waaaaay too many parties - and even (like you said you knew the kid, nice family, etc) it's the OTHER kids that come to the party you've got to worry about. Isn't that sad.

On a happier note - those cookies - look yummmmm. I'll take a dozen - no, make that 2 dozen - if Howard says it's ok. I'll bet Howard LUUUUUUVS THOSE HEART COOKIES.

Oh, and thanks for that great link to the embroidery blog. WOW - unbelievable stuff there. Inspirational.

lesley said...

Hi Mary. Your heat shaped cookies look delicious and thoes chocolate coated pretzals! 'Mmmmmmm'. You've been a busy bee. Yummy! Unfortunately children can find their own way to alcohol they don't need irresponsable parents assisting them. Molly sounds a very responsable young lady. xx