Monday, February 23, 2009

My Poor Scarf...

Oh the trauma of it all! This is the first yarn I ever spun on my wheel and the scarf that I knit with it....
Oh how I love this scarf. But look...
I'm sure it was one of my hooligan children yanking coats and scarves around in the foyer closet! I'm so sad. I'm using it anyway even if it looks a little shabby.

Ryan came home Thursday afternoon and said "Mom, my math teacher said I can't go to the bathroom anymore during class unless you send in a note saying I have a medical condition." What?! Are you asking to leave the class every day? "No. I never ask to leave, but today I didn't feel well and had to leave twice so she got made at me and that's when she said I needed to bring the note." Then, at noon on Friday I decided to run Jason over to school to get his Chemistry book so he could start working on all the school work that he had missed last week. He went to the office to get a pass to go to his locker. She told him that that wasn't allowed and that the assistant principal would have to be notified that he was absent from school but came onto campus! What kind of idiots do we have running our schools?! It's like the time when Molly was 11 and the wacko school nurse (sorry all school nurses out there who are not wackos) told her that she had scoliosis and totally freaked her out! She was all upset the rest of the day and crying to me when she got home. So I took her to the doctor the next day to have the test done and NO she did not have scoliosis. I called the school nurse to complain and basically told her I thought she was an idiot for making a medical diagnosis and then telling an 11 year old all about her findings. Nurse: So, should I put a note in Molly's file that she is extremely sensitive about her health and school staff should avoid any reference to her health when she comes into the nurses office? ME: Molly is not extremely sensitive about her health - but she trusts the school staff - school staff that are not licensed to practice medicine and certainly not authorised to diagnosis medical conditions or discuss those medical conditions with a minor! You should be calling me about your concerns. Nurse: So, I should put the note in her file? Me: No! The next time you decide to play unlicensed doctor you call me with any findings - you do not discuss it with my daughter! Nurse: So, I should call you if she comes in the office and complains about a headache because she will get upset if I discuss it with her? Me: Do you really have a college degree or are you also impersonating a nurse? Because you couldn't possibly have made it through college and still be this stupid. It went down hill from there - what an ass.


So now I'm just waiting for the assistant principal to call me. I can't wait to hear him explain how it's against the school policy for a mother to bring her son up to school to get a school book so that over the weekend he can work on what he has missed while he is laying in bed! - bring it on baby! :O)

4 comments:

Clevelandgirlie said...

And THAT is exactly why I stopped teaching high school and started working with my husband in our real estate company. There are wonderful principals, and wonderful teachers and wonderful school nurses (God Bless them One and All) but it has been my experience that the majority - not so hot. I have a feeling it's only going to get worse.

Clevelandgirlie said...

You got me so worked up, I forgot about your poor scarf. My suggestion (and yes I have done this before) - with needle and thread, catch the loops that you can and sew them together. Then, using a cotton swab, dab on fabric glue (you can get at any sewing store) and put a book on top of your scarf until it dries. It will keep it from unraveling - it really will and it won't look half bad either.
XO
PS I need my weekly dose of Howard - please.

misschris said...

This is exactly what I don't like about the public school system these days... drives me batty. They threw common sense out the window years ago, when they started worrying more about their insurance risk coverage than their students. Stupid policies.

And you know? Sometimes you gotta go. Twice in an hour. And you don't want to tell everyone about it for crying out loud.

RIP cute scarf. I'd wear it anyway.

Kris said...

Yeah! (You got me worked up too!) You know, common sense is not as common as it once was. This whole post made me think of an episode of The Gilmore Girls. (Sorry if you hate it or have never seen it, but I can't resist, it's so apt!) Lorelei asks Michele (the bad-tempered French reception dude in the inn) if he is going to answer the ringing phone. He replies, "I cannot. People are particularly stupid today. I cannot talk to them." Man that is soooooo true! It seems as though people in schools are particularly stupid every day!