Friday, February 6, 2009

A Little Freaky, A Little Drama, And A Recipe...

Mark was being a little bratty. So I said, Oh I know what I'm doing today - I'm making a voodoo doll! And Kellie says (in a totally serious voice) "Yeah! You'll need a piece of his hair and something of his to go inside for it to work. In his meeting today you could make him swing his arms all over the place and do some crazy kicks and smack himself in the head and stuff!" Ahhhhhh, okay. I was only kidding about the voodoo doll thing you freaky little kid. LOL Sheesh, don't get on Kellie's bad side! :O)


So last night I was making chicken noodle soup - yum - and while it was cooking I was watching Pride and Prejudice. hhhhhh, that Colin Firth. Love that man. Anyhoo, I hear crying coming from the bathroom. I get up to investigate and GOOD LORD blood like you would not believe. From what I could get out of Ryan he had walked his friend out to be picked up by his mother and they were running around the driveway when Ryan fell and smashed his nose into my car! oh, and Jason's says...you didn't dent mom's car did you? Ah, Jas thanks for your help, but that's not really an issue buddy. So very helpful. Anyway, I thought he may have broken it but it stopped bleeding within 10 minutes and he didn't get any swelling or bruising. It also didn't hurt when I touched it. hhhhh, nothing like a little drama to keep the heart in shape. A few years ago he woke up with blood all over his pillow. His eardrum ruptured and we had no warning at all - not an earache, not a headache, no cold symptoms, nothing. It just ruptured.


I also made the dough for some sugar cookies. These are really good and I don't think I've shared this recipe with you...This doesn't make a lot of dough. I usually use tiny cookie cutters but I'm making big heart cookies. I might have to make a second batch. We'll see.
SUGAR COOKIES

1 Cup Butter
1/2 Cup Shortening
1 1/2 Cups Sugar
3 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Ground Nutmeg
2 Eggs
2 Tbsp Orange Juice (or Lemon Juice)
4 Cups Flour


Beat butter and shortening in a mixing bowl with electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Beat till combined. Add eggs and juice and beat till well combined. Beat in flour. Divide dough in quarters, cover and chill at least 3 hours.
Roll dough on lightly floured surface to 1/8 thickness. Cut with cookie cutters, place on greased cookie sheet, sprinkle with colored sugar. Bake at 375 degrees for 7 to 8 minutes or till edges are lightly browned. I'm sorry I don't have any to show you - I will be making them today. And I'm not sure if you have ever heard this (I think I read this from Martha Stewart somewhere)but you should roll out sugar cookies on powdered sugar instead of flour so that they don't get dry. I've tried it and it worked great. So happy cookie making.

4 comments:

Clevelandgirlie said...

Like the idea of the voodoo doll - during the meeting hitting himself. Too funny.
Thanks for the tip on the cookies - great idea. I'll have to try that.

Clevelandgirlie said...

P.S. Although I'm guessing you have NOT visited my new blog (i don't really publicize it - it's more like a diary) which is named after me using my Indian Name,
Runs FROM Cookies. http://www.runsfromcookies.blogspot.com
Maybe I shouldn't try that "tip" after all!! lol

misschris said...

That martha is so smart.

And Kellie's a little scary. You know, in a cute, funny, endearing way.

Kris said...

Okay, Kellie is freaky (be nice to her!) and I get the blood drama thing. When one of my little ones was 2 or 3 she ran inside bleeding a gusher of blood. It was horrific! Rushed her to the doctor and when the nurse had finished cleaning her up it was a teeny tiny little cut in her hair. How embarassing! Heads bleed incredibly! So now I check them before I rush! Thanks for the recipe!