Thursday, January 22, 2009

I know everyone is making bread - the old fashioned way. But, alas, I'm not feeling the love -- I want instant gratification with the least amount of effort so I'm lovin' my bread machine. Today I'm making Raisin Bread. I've made this one before and it's really good.

Raisin Bread

1 1/8 to 1 1/4 cups Milk (mine needed the 1 1/4 cups)
2 Tbsp Butter
3 Tbsp Dark Brown Sugar
1 tsp Salt
3 Cups Bread Flour
2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1 Pinch Grated Nutmeg
1/2 Cup Raisins
1 1/2 tsp Red Star Brand Active Dry Yeast

Place all ingredients in bread machine, using the least amount of liquid listed in the recipe. Select Light Crust setting, the the Sweet cycle, and press start. Observe the dough as it kneads. After 5 to 10 minutes, if it appears dry and stiff, or if your machine sounds as if it's straining to knead it, add more liquid 1 Tbsp at a time until dough forms a smooth, soft, pliable ball that is slightly tacky to the touch. After the baking cycle ends, remove bread from pan and place on a cake rack and allow to cool 1 hour before slicing. In my machine it takes 3 hours 25 minutes on the fruit and nut setting. This makes a medium sized loaf (1 1/2 pound)

I think I even posted about it before - and I'm making cookies today - chocolate chip and oatmeal. And what am I doing while I'm making these cookies? reading a trashy romance novel! HA! I think I'll do a little laundry so that Mark doesn't realize that I spent the day laying on the sofa eating way too many cookies and reading trash! :O) What a great day, right?

Yesterday Kellie came home and told me that her friend had spent the day on Tuesday talking with Obama on TV. I tried to explain to her that she was just teasing. Kellie wouldn't hear of it. SHE SAID MOM! Oh, okay. I must have missed her on TV - she was probably on while I was eating lunch with the tooth fairy. :O)


I have to tell you about these shoes...
I love them! I love the little buckle and the stitching around the side. I wear them all the time which is making me nervous because I bought them last winter and I'm afraid I'm wearing them too much and wont be able to replace them - but I just can't help it! I love them. That's all I wanted to say about these shoes ... love them. I'm sure this information has made your day complete! :O) The bread is really good though, try it. And I highly recommend neglecting all house work and stuffing your face with warm cookies and reading trashy novels. It's what keeps me healthy. :O)

3 comments:

Levin (and Emily) said...

oooh i'm a secret fan of the trashy romance novel too.
the bread sounds great - i might just give that a go (with my breadmaker).
love your shoes - enjoy every moment you have with them.
hope your haircut went well
l
x

lesley said...

Hi There. Sounds like the perfect day, a trashy romance novel and cookies! You luky girl! Your raisen bread sounds delicious, thanks for sharing. And I too love those shoes, what a gorgeous colour. xx

Clevelandgirlie said...

Mary - Love the shoes!
Love the idea of reading trash!
Oatmeal and chocolate cookies - I'm there.
Raisin bread - ooooooooh baby. What a horrible life you have.
NOT!
And what does HOWARD think of all this nonsense?

PS I'm having a giveaway, come sign up to win.