Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Merry Christmas!!!

Oh the year of the Easy Bake Oven...did you have one of these? It was like 1972-ish. I think I'm 7 here. My brothers were fascinated by it.

Well like you I am making last minute items. Gingerbread cookies...

GINGERBREAD COOKIES



2/3 Cup Margarine or Shortening
1/2 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup Molasses
1 egg
3 Cups Flour
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Cloves
1 tsp Ginger
1/2 tsp Nutmeg



Cream margarine, sugars and molasses. Add egg and mix well. Sift together the dry ingredients (I must confess that I don't sift them...I just stir them together), blend into creamed mixture. Chill a few hours. Roll dough 1/4 inch think on lightly floured surface. Place coolies on a greased baking sheet. Place cinnamon candies for eyes or buttons. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove to rack to cool. Leave plan or decorate with Royal Icing.


PERFECT ROYAL ICING


1/2 Cup Cold Water
1/4 Cup Meringue Powder


Beat until peaks form then add 4 cups of sifted confectioners sugar (1 pound box) and beat in.


Pecan Turtles...

These are really easy to make. You line a baking sheet with wax paper. Spread broken pecans (or whatever kind of nut you want) over the wax paper in a thick layer. Melt chocolate in a double boiler and set aside. Melt the caramel in a double boiler. With two spoons drop the melted caramel onto the nuts in blobs randomly spaced. With a small spatula scoop up the caramel with the nuts that are attached and place on a second baking sheet lined with wax paper about 1 inch apart. With a spoon pour the melted chocolate over each one of them. Place in the refrigerator for about 5 to 10 minutes until the chocolate is set. Keep piling the remaining nuts back up and repeat with the caramel and chocolate. These go very quickly at parties! They are yummy! (I've made them with pretzels pieces too and they were yummy too!)


Merry Christmas friends! And don't be like Howard -- Control yourself at the parties! You don't want to be caught looking like this....



Someone might take your picture and post it on a blog! :O)

3 comments:

Levin (and Emily) said...

those pecan turtles look yummy. i used a similar royal icing recipe with fantastic results - and yes, i left a whole lot of stuff till the last minutes. david (my husband) asked me why every year i leave everything till the last minute and get so stressed and i told him that every mother is supposed to feel stressed before christmas - it's our version of christmas spirit! lol
have a happy new year.
l
x

Kris said...

I have been sooooooooo busy (of course) that I haven't had time to read blogs etc but now I've been here I realise I should have made time! Thanks for sharing these fantastic recipes Mary! Those gingerbread men are gorgeous!!! You are one brilliant cook!

Oh, so glad that man finally went back to work too. Life can get back to normal now! (You're going to have to work that retirement thing out before he retires and you go crazy! Maybe he needs a hobby. One that he can do in the shed - out of the house! Lol! Encourage him!)

Jackie said...

Howard looks beautiful to me.