Friday, December 5, 2008

Good Day For Gifts To Myself!...

A few years ago I took a class in theorem painting with Elly Sienkiewicz. Fantastic class! In the class we used oil pastels to paint and shade our fabrics for applique. Very cool technique. She had these great oil pastels! I haven't been able to find them anywhere. I have these but they don't work as well...
I have these but they don't give the right effect...


And I have these...



And as great as they are, they aren't right for this technique. As you can see this has been a quest for some time! WELL...I did a little pre-Christmas shopping for myself and bought these...


They are Sennelier Oil Pastels. They came today and I'm just too friggin excited about it! Lookie Lookie...They work F A B U L O U S L Y!!!! Happy dance, happy dance! Here is what you do...You make a template out of white sticky name tag paper (or in a pinch you can use freezer paper like I did just now for the quick test) You cut out your shape. Keep both the negative and the positive template pieces. You press the template you are going to use onto the fabric (with an iron if you are using the freezer paper). You randomly color a little around the edge with the colors you want to use...
Then you use your finger and a piece of clean dry cotton and you smudge the color onto the fabric. Peel off the template and taadaa...
The reason you keep the other template too is because you can use it for making one half of the leaf )or whatever you are making) darker/lighter -- or with a peach you can do the shaded line down the center -- you know what I mean? Anyway, keep both templates. Now, this was the speedy speedy test version that I did. If you take a little time and keep applying color here and there you get a great effect! LOVE LOVE LOVE these oil pastels! They come in two sizes. These are the small ones. Elly had some of the big ones. I'm just so darn excited that I finally found them!! HA LA LOO YA! Now if I could just get my husband to give me 5 friggin minutes to myself I would call this a banner day all around. But alas he is currently standing in front of me asking me for the fifth time if I'm ready to come watch a movie with him....boohoo. sob sob. How long does a back take to heal? When can he go back to work?! :O) just kidding. We are having tons of fun together...24 hours a day...7 days a week...tons of fun. Honest. I'm lovin' it. Seriously.


So classic Ryan...His winter concert for school was last night. He gets home from school at 3:00, at 4:35 and says "Can we go over to the school? I forgot my trumpet in the music room." Well, at 3:00 when you got home we could have, but now the school is closed and we wont be able to get in the music room. Mark says "go upstairs and get my old trumpet." (the one that hasn't been used since he graduated from High School in 1981!!!!) This should be good. Mark says hand it to me so I can make sure it's ready. He starts pressing the keys and the middle one sticks. Hmmm. Ryan have you ever seen American Pie's band camp? you'll just have to go with it. Or...every time a B is played you'll be the man! LOL! Ryan was not amused. And then he wanted to watch American Pie so he could see what Mark and I were laughing about. Ahhh, NO. Mark did finally get it into working order so at least Ryan wont get an F for not showing up at the concert -- now the grade for his playing -- that's a whole different story! :O) Oh and when we asked Ryan if he had his sheet music -- no, but I can share with the kid next to me. Oh wait - he doesn't play trumpet. hmm. I'm not sure Ryan, but I think that might be a problem! :O)

Howard ripped off his bandage so I had to go back and get a new one put on. You know what -the vet gets away with an awful lot -- because of Howard's size they charge me like double for everything. It's always "well, because of his size...well, because of his weight...well, because it's an emergency... (did you know it's $90 just to walk in the door if it's called an emergency!) rrrrr.


Went to the liquor store. Bought four bottles of the most amazing alcohol in the world for the holidays. Visions of a little tasting of each when I get home. Walk out to the car. Open the car door and drop the bag on the ground! SMASH! Four bottles of amazing alcohol running over my shoes and down the street. To make sure that anyone watching enjoyed the Mary at the liquor store show I immediately began speaking in tongues at the top of my lungs. Class act! Ohhh yes. Good times. Too embarrassed and now too smelly (and -0- dollars in the wallet) to go back in and re-buy everything. Went home boohooing.


Two days ago I was driving to the orthodontist in the car with Ryan and Kellie. Ryan says "Geez, your hands are so old and cracked looking! They're like all dried up!" Wow. Thanks Ryan! I feel good now! :O) I can thank the cold weather for the condition of my hands. That and the fact that I wash my hands about once every 3 seconds! Molly and Jason just finished with braces and now Kellie and Ryan are starting. We thought Ryan wasn't going to need them but in the past year his big honkin' Welsh (my maiden name) horse teeth have been coming in with a vengeance! So it will be braces for him too. We knew Kellie would need them. When her baby teeth came in at 5 months -- SHAZAM! Seriously large Welsh horse teeth! I knew right then that we were in big big trouble! I had never seen such large teeth in a baby's mouth. Poor Molly, and Kellie and now Ryan too -- all cursed with my big horse chompers. :O) Jason was blessed with Mark's tiny little teeth but he was also cursed with a tiny little mouth! He's glad to be finished with the braces too -- start to finish it's been 7 years for Jason and 6 years for Molly!


Aren't you just so glad I shared all of this random boring business? It's that kind of week.

3 comments:

Clevelandgirlie said...

Ok, I've been missing waaaay too much by not visiting more frequently. I laughed so hard I almost -- well, you know. The cracked old hand thing -- don't kids have a wonderful way of boosting our self esteem to new lows!!! I have many stories I could (but choose not to) relate on waaaaay more embarassing comments than that!! Rest assured - you are NOT alone!

Clevelandgirlie said...

You really spoiled yourself with these. We buy these one at a time (they are quite pricey - as they are from France!) and we love them, but I've never used them like you are suggesting. I will try that asap! Thanks so much Mary - you are one spoiled girl. The Shiva's are awesome - I use those all the time with texture plates (Cedar Canyon)
C~

Kris said...

Hi Mary!
Sounds like you have been having a fun week!(NOT!) I love all your oil pastels/sticks, pencil packages! It is nice to spoil yourself. I just recently bought a whole bunch of pencils. Just wish I'd found some time to use them! Hope you get a block of time to play with your latest acquisitions!