Thursday, December 4, 2008

Christmas Crafting Mistakes!

Number One Biggest Mistake EVER Made By Me...
I decided when Jason and Molly were babies that I wanted bigger Christmas stockings so that I could fit a doll or a truck, a coloring book and crayons, and a book in them. So I drew a pattern with a nice wide shape. GREAT! LOVE THEM! PERFECT! Made one for each child for their first Christmas....





Well...now Jason is soon to be 17 and Molly is 15! Now they don't want a doll, or a truck, or a nice big coloring book! -- everything they want is small and rather pricey....Music CD's, Jewelry, Makeup, Video games, small electronics...you get the idea. They add up in cost fast but the stockings always look empty!! These nice big stockings were a Big Big Big Blunder on my part! I should have instilled the tradition early on that Santa puts new underwear and socks in stockings!

Then last year in my manic Christmas crafting extravaganza I decided that Kellie would LOVE a knitted muff. In white fur!!! with supper soft white wool yarn knitted with it! GORGEOUS! FEELS AMAZING! Kellie sees it when I'm just finishing it and says. Wow! That's so pretty! That's really soft!... but I don't have to use it do I? "Aaahhh, What?" .... Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. No, you don't have to use it because I'M RIPPING IT OUT NOW AND MAKING MYSELF A SCARF! damn it! :O) Okay, so Kellie and Molly are completely different girls. In first grade Molly had a fake fur coat and muff == she would have gone bananas for the darn thing! Kellie...not so much.

5 comments:

Jackie said...

Sorry I haven't been here for a couple of days, been a bit busy. I would have liked the fur muff when I was young.
Glad the op (Mark)went well and Howards foot is ok!

misschris said...

Sorry, had to laugh about the big stockings!!!

Kris said...

Ooooops! Those 'mistake' stockings are all so pretty!

Mom2fur said...

My mother used to put an orange in the toes of our stockings to 'fill them out.' With today's prices, a piece of fruit might be a nice gift, LOL! Also, think of those big candy bars--they take up some room.
Your dog is awesome. My dog (a chihuahua named Shadow) is about as big as on of his ears. But I have to say, when I first saw that picture of him in the chair...I thought he was an amazingly life-like stone statue!

Clevelandgirlie said...

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol - I knew exactly where you were going with this one (the ginormous stocking) The older the get - the smaller and pricier their gifts get. Also, with regard to the muff -- my 13 year old still wears the stuff I make her -- but I'll bet she takes it off as soon as she gets to school!!!
We put shampoo, sox, underwear, deodorant, oranges, gum, etc. to fill 'em up. Tobie and Gizmo each have their own stockings - that get filled with pigs ears, cow hooves and rawhide! Gitty up!