Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Got in a little sewing...

I was able to get some sewing in on Sunday. I made these blocks....
They will be little mini quilt ornaments and stuff. I'm going to take them to the hospital with me to work on while I'm waiting for Mark to have his surgery.


I ordered this house for Kellie for Christmas. It was delivered on Saturday. That wouldn't have been a problem if they had put it in a shipping box. But no. It was delivered in it's box with all the photos of exactly what it is!!! On the front porch at 10 AM on Saturday when she was home and coming down the stairs to see who was at the door! We thought it was Ryan's friend DJ. Thank God I got to the door first! I was like AAAAHHHH! Kellie go away! Go to your room and close the door until I tell you you can come out! This stupid thing is her SANTA gift! Those stupid idiots at that store! Who ships toys at Christmas time not in a shipping box?!


Because my sister makes the most amazing cranberry mold in the universe I am going to share it with you. You need to make this -- you will love me forever for how amazing it is...


PINEAPPLE - CRANBERRY MOLD


Drain two 8 oz cans of crushed pineapple in juice (reserve the juice)

Add port wine to make 1 cup of juice

Dissolve two packages (3 oz each) Cherry Jello in 2 cups of boiling water

Break up two 8 oz cans of whole berry cranberry sauce

Add to jello; add measured liquid and chill until thickened (about 1 hour)

Add pineapple, 2 cups of diced apple; 2/3 cups chopped walnuts; 2 tsp grated orange rind and 2 dashes of cardamom. Pour into large jello mold. Chill until firm (about 4 hours). Unmold. YUM!

We make it at Christmas with ham too. And I just thought I would share my stuffing recipe with you because it's so crazy good...


SAUSAGE STUFFING

3 loaves of sandwich bread (crusts removed) broken into 1 inch pieces

2 cups chopped onion

1 cup chopped celery

1 1/2 cups butter

1 cup snipped parsley

3 tsp poultry seasoning

1/2 tsp pepper

2 tsp salt

1 pound sage sausage

Brown the sausage with the celery and onion. Stir in butter, parsley, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper, and bread crumbs. Mix well. Stuff bird. YUM! This is how much I made when we only had 18 people. Now that all the guys are big and there are 24 of us, I double this recipe except for the salt (I use 3 tsp of salt).


And the candied sweet potatoes...


CANDIED SWEET POTATOES


6 Medium Sweet Potatoes

1/4 cup butter

1/2 cup dark corn syrup

2 Tbsp Water

1/4 cup brown sugar, packed


Boil potatoes 25 minutes, cool, peel and cut in half lengthwise. In shallow dish melt butter, add syrup, water and sugar. Arrange potatoes on top. Bake 1 hour at 375 degrees. YUM!


The funny tradition that we have is that we always start with a cup of fruit cocktail. I'm not sure why my mom started the fruit cocktail thing -- I guess she wanted to be fancy or something when we were little. Anyway now you wouldn't dare not have fruit cocktail at the start of Thanksgiving dinner in my family. We add cut up bananas and strawberries to it. Very fancy. :O) That's okay -- this year I am going to serve it in my new bowls...

We also have sauerkraut with our dinner because my mom's mom's family came here from Germany. I think it might be a Baltimore - German thing.

Do you have any special traditions at your house?

2 comments:

Robin said...

We too are of German descent (both my husband's family and mine and Baltimore too). Years ago my husband worked on tugboats up in New York during Thanksgiving. The cook wanted to know what special dishes each man would like. My husband chose sauerkraut. They thought he was sooooo weird.

Kris said...

Love those blocks! So pretty!