Friday, October 3, 2008

10 hours in the ER...

Yesterday morning at around 11 AM I received a call from the emergency room of Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center (the fact that they passed two hospitals to get to Bayview and that they were at Bayview scared the crap out of me!) telling me that my Mom and Dad had been in an automobile accident. They were driving down the road and this guy pulled out of a parking lot right in front of them (less than 6 feet in front of them) they didn't even have time to hit the break. They're okay. My Mom has a fractured sternun and an injury to her knee and her faced has a cut on the nose and swelling from the air bag. My Dad has an injury to his heart because of the trama (not life threatening and no surgery seems to be needed) and he also injured his knees. I walk in to the ER (Mark was already there - he's such a good guy) anyway, she's crying I go two rooms down to where my Dad is and he says "YOUR MOTHER NEEDS TO LEARN HOW TO DRIVE! She owes me a cake for this one!" I said "Dad, I pretty sure that the guy who pulled out on YOU also pulled out on MOM! She doesn't owe you a cake because she got hurt in an accident with you!" "Well, I didn't mean it like that." Yeah, ya did. My Dad was admitted and put in a room by 4:30PM but my poor Mom had to spend the entire day sitting in the ER and then in the HALL because the ER had so many emergencies -- until all the tests were run on her. Finally at 8:30PM she was finally admitted too. They were both admitted into the Surgical ICU. Luckily they were put in rooms two doors away from each other. My Mom was afraid they would put them together! LOL My Mom is an optimist. My Dad is the most pesimistic person ever to walk the earth! I'm serious. The man can make you suicidal in about 10 minutes. Yesterday I was ready to kill him myself. He was moaning and groaning about how much pain he was in "Oh, I can't take this pain, I need pain medicine, Oh it's awful I can't take it." I run over to the Dr. "Dr. He is in terrible pain can't you give him something?" Dr comes over "Hey buddy, how are you? Where is the pain?" MY DAD"Oh! I'm okay. I'm just a little stiff from laying on that board." I'm thinking : whaaaattttt? Dr says okay well we need to get your blood pressure up before we can give you any pain medication. My Dad "okay. No problem." Dr walks away. They give him some IV fluids (while he complained about being stuck again and that they were making him black and blue) and his blood pressure comes back up. "Why the hell can't they give me something for this pain?! It's killing me. I can't take this pain in my back it's excruciating!" I go over to the nurse. "I'm sorry, but my Dad's blood pressure has come back up and he is in a lot of pain. Can you please see if he can have something now?" "Sure, I'll be right there, let me just check with the dr." Great. Nurse comes over "Hey buddy, are you in pain? Do you need some pain medication?" My DAD"Oh, it's not too bad. I'm just sore from laying on that board and my back aches a little bit." ME : whaaaat? Nurse walks away probably thinking I'm some kind of nut. So, I'm looking at my Mom like "what the ...." she's looking at me rolling her eyes and mouths "see!" So I get up I walk over to the nurse and say "I'm sorry, but I need to have a word with you." Out in the hall I explain what is going on. She says Oh. I see. Okay I'll take care of it. So I'm thinking okay they are going to handle this. Back in the room my Dad is letting off streams of profanity (he is the master) and moaning and groaning about the pain, the stupid driver, the idiots in the hospital (not 5 feet from him) on and on. Then he starts with the pain again -- eyes closed moaning telling me that he feels like he wont be able to stand it another second and when are they going to give him memdication. Why is it taking so long... I get up...go find the nurse (who is now a new nurse) he comes over "how are you feeling? do you need pain medication?" My DAD "OH, I don't know, I'm just sore." whaaaaat? So I say "Dad you said you were in a lot of pain." "Oh, it's just that I'm stiff from laying on that board." "well, do you need something for the pain?" "oh, I don't know I think I'm okay." It was all I could do not to jump on the bed and kill him. Nurse says okay, well let me know if you need something and walks away. My Dad starts again within 5 minutes. I'm starting to think its a brain injury, but he had a full body scan and honestly my Mom said he does this all the time. He complains to her but then when they get to the dr he refuses to admit that he is in pain. Its crazy. So I go over to this new nurse, I tell him that my Dad needs pain medication that he is very uncomfortable. He comes over -- SAME THING!!! At this point they must think I'm some kind of nut because I keep interrupting them and telling them that my Dad needs their help and then he's like Hey, everythings peachy keen! Now I'm so angry I could scream. I get up -- I go to the nurse -- I ask him to come out in the hall, I explain to him what is happening, he says OKay! I'll handle this. And he goes over to my father and takes charge. Thank God! I'm really worried about my Mom though. She's in so much pain. I think they will send her home today and I'm just not sure how we are going to get her comfortable. I only live 1 mile from her so that's not a big deal, but I wish they would keep them longer. You know how hospitals are though. I do hope that they send my Mom home first and keep my Dad at least a day longer. He thinks he's the center of the universe and will expect my Mom to cater to him. Last night he never once asked how my Mom was -- it was all about him. He complained about, the blood pressure cuff, the bed, the room, the IV even what he had for dinner! Meanwhile my poor Mom 2 doors down is on oxygen and on so much pain meds its crazy - she's sick from them being on an empty stomach so they are also giving her nausea medication which isn't working and she hasn't had anything to eat or drink since 8:30 that morning -- She isn't complaining at all. Finally, I said, WELL! DAD! They've switched Moms pain meds because she was getting so sick from the first one on an empty stomach. He says "oh, huh. really." YEAH!!! I was so done by then. My Mom even said "oh, I hope I go home alone for at least ONE day> I need to just have some quiet time to myself." How sad is that. He doesn't even get it! If I call him on it he's like "What? I didn't mean anything? I'm just cranky today." Honestly, the man's been "cranky" for the entire 43 years I've been here! Poor Mom. So now I'm just waiting for her to call me after she sees the Dr this morning so I know if she's coming home or not and what is being done about my Dad. The scary thing is that even though they seem just banged up at 82 and 86 just banged up can become a lot of things.

4 comments:

Randi said...

I am so glad your mom and dad are OK! When I started reading I didn't know they were in their 80s. It makes me think that things could have been worse.

Kudos to your mom for being sweet on your dad all these years. It sounds like she is one strong lady. I am sure that, deep down, your dad knows that he is blessed with her!

miss chris said...

oh, honey. I'm so sorry to hear about this. Hang in there, ok? xoxo

Kris said...

This doesn't sound like any fun at all! I hope they recover quickly.

Jackie said...

Keep calm!
How difficult for you though. You must be worried. Hope they are soon ok.