Friday, September 26, 2008

A Little Freaked!

Here's a bit of scary business...I was on my driveway (aka the bus stop) this morning talking to my neighbors/friends and they were telling me that I need to get the small local paper (I only get the Baltimore Sun) because I'm not hearing about the craziness going on about 2 miles from my house....

In a shopping center 1 1/2 miles from my house...Last week...The bank I go to has an attempted robbery. Same shopping center a man tries to drag woman into his jeep while she is taking a little walk on her lunch hour. A man in a neighborhood across the street from this shopping center is robbed at his front door. In the parking lot of my grocery store, also about 1 1/2 miles from my house, a woman was walking to her car around 10 AM (exactly the kind of time I would be there on any given day) and a man tried to drag her into his car. Jason and Molly and their friends walk to this shopping center ALL THE TIME -- granted they are probably safer being in a group, but this makes me want to keep them with me 24 hours a day! Sorry guys, no more smoothie shop, no more video store, no more sub and pizza place, you have to stay home with me even though it's only 3 in the afternoon and the sun is shining. Jason's going to be 17 in December -- you think he'll listen? I'm thinking for my own safety I could take Howard with me in the car...
of course the car makes him sleepy and he gets to a point where he can't keep his eyes open...
That could be a problem should a bad guy arrive on the scene, huh?

This week at same bank...Woman attempting to make a deposit drop from her store pulls up to the banks drop box in her car at 7:30AM. Puts her window down. She sees a shadow approaching her car. Man launches himself through her car window and grabs the bag on the seat next to her and then runs off. Luckily he grabbed a bag of candy she had and not the bag with the deposit!

About two months ago...a woman would come to the door trying to sell children's books (trying to see if you had children) a short while later a group of men/women would come up to same house if kids were out alone and try to take them. In one case a boy was playing ball in his driveway. The garage door up and his mother had moved her car for him so they probably thought he was home alone. A group of men came up and asked him if he wanted to play ball with them. He said no. They kept trying to talk to him so he said "let me go ask my mom" and thy took off. I do this for Ryan ALL THE TIME! I usually block the driveway with my car, but even so...this could have happened to him! And he plays out front with his army stuff every day. I don't go out with him anymore because he's "just in the front yard" and he's 11. Anyway, my neighbors (both women I was talking to) saw the woman and called 911 after the woman came to their doors. I don't know where I was == I don't remember her coming to the door - Of course I probably wouldn't have been suspicious because I didn't even know about this one!

We live in a really nice neighborhood! We're in the sweet little suburbs for crying out loud! What the heck is going on???!!! I hate to make my kids prisoners in their own home, but every single one of these things happened in broad daylight not 2 miles from my house! We never had stuff like this before! This is a scary world. You think you've got the kids covered. You watch them, you try to explain to them how to be careful, you move to a nice area with a low crime rate -- are we ever safe? I thought we were relatively safe - that stuff happens in that area, not were we are - can't say that now.

Now on a funny note...apparently there has been a serious breach of pop tart etiquette in my house. Poor Kellie has been reduced to writing angry messages on her pop tart box...
It says...QUIT EATING MY POP TARTS!!!

And while unloading the dish washer I discovered that Jason has had to resort to hiding his pop tarts...
Where did he learn that I wonder?
hmmm, I think that might be the cookies I bought myself at the grocery store yesterday. ;O) I'm thinking the culprit is most likely my dear sweet angelic innocent as new fallen snow Ryan! Mmmmhmmm. This has Ryan written all over it. I did purchase these at the store yesterday morning too while all my wonderful, sweet, loving children were at school...


NOW LOOK....
Little pigs!!!! They clearly do not savor their chocolate. They probably went at these like rabid dogs! :o) I guess, to be nice I should leave that last one for Mark to have after his long day at work...
Naaaa. :O) Have a good weekend friends.

2 comments:

miss chris said...

Isn't it freaky when this stuff happens so near to us? Hard not to be paranoid...

Man I love candy season.

Kris said...

It is scary what goes on. It makes you wonder whether you really want to know this stuff. Does it make you any safer? Or just more scared?