Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly...

Hello friends...

so the good: A publisher contacted me and wants to put one of my mini quilts in a "how to" book. Very excited about that!



The bad: Those bastards in AZ picked the local guy! rrrrr. So here is a photo of the building Mark wont be working in...


On a positive note my sister, my mom, and Jason are thrilled that we will be staying in Maryland. Oh joy...


The ugly: When Molly was in 4th grade we bought her a flute for music class. In the beginning of 8th grade she begged us to let her switch to the oboe. She is such a music/art kind of kid that we thought it was worth it. So $1,800 oboe is now ours. This year her music teacher said that she needed more keys on her oboe in order to play the more advanced - complicated - music they were learning. Okay. No problem. Yesterday I went over to the music store and asked the repair guy to please add the keys that were needed. He explains to me (while chuckling) that you can't do that. So much for the teachers brilliant plan! I would need to purchase a new oboe. Go speak to Joe. Okay. Hi Joe. Bought this oboe from you two years ago and she needs to upgrade to a better one. How much are we talking about? Joe: Ooooh, yeah. She has a beginner oboe. (he couldn't have explained that two years ago so that maybe we would have just bought the better one right off?!) A new intermediate oboe would only be $2,500 or you could go right to the advanced oboe if she plans to stick with this through college (which she does) would be $4,700. Me: Oooookay. What about this oboe that we bought 2 years ago -- what kind of trade in can you give me? Joe: well the price I gave you ISSSS discounted, but I could give you maybe $300 for your oboe. Me: mmmmm, I'll talk to my husband. Thanks Joe.


$300!!!!!! for an oboe that is in perfect condition purchased from HIS store only TWO years ago! Are you friggin kidding me?!!! And then there is Molly: "ssso I can't get the oboe?" Yes, bring on the guilt. How can I look at those big sad stressed blue eyes and say no when it's a MUSIC INSTRUMENT we are talking about -- not a trendy new whatever! So I'm now trying to convince Mark that Molly is a music major - will probably get some scholarships to college because of her grades and the fact that she plays the oboe (which is apparently a rare choice of instrument - she was the only one in MS and now HS who plays the oboe), that if she played sports we would be spending a lot of money each season on equipment....So far he's not feeling the new oboe love.


And then....Mark's dad has been feeling sick for a few months and they can't find anything wrong with him. Sunday we get a call from Mark's sister that their dad was going to the hospital because he was hallucinating. They kept him for tests. Monday we get a call that he is still hallucinating and that he is also combative. Tuesday we get a call that all the tests are coming back normal and they can't figure out what's happening....


Poor Mark. No on the new job. $4,700 oboes. And now his dad. That's three so we should be good now right? Bad things only come in threes correct? So much for feeling relaxed. Oh! and my house STILL smells like melted plastic! I'm not feeling too peachy today - sorry for the crappy post. I'll be better tomorrow - promise.

1 comment:

miss chris said...

Sorry for the oboe woes.

And the job.

And Mark's Dad.

And the dratted plastic smell. That has got to really awful.

Hugs for you. xoxo