Friday, August 22, 2008

Special Anniversary...

Today is my parents 60th wedding anniversary!

and can I just tell you that they were married in August in BALTIMORE!!! Talk about humidity and it would be about 90 something degrees - and that dress she is wearing weighs a ton! It's thick satin and it has fitted long sleeves with buttons from the elbow to the wrist! She paid $50 for it back in 1948. I'm glad she held on to it. It's a beautiful color and it feels wonderful. I don't know how she lived through that wedding in that heat without air conditioning! When I got married I didn't want to wear it but I took one of the gazillion buttons from it and put it in a little lace pouch with ...


a piece of bread so we would always have food, a piece of wood so we would always have shelter, a penny so we would always have money, a piece of cloth so we would always be warm, the button as something old/borrowed, and I can't remember what I had for something blue...anyway I pinned the little pouch to the underside of the dress just for fun.


Also, my Dad will be 86 years old on August 30th


so I'll be having my family here (24 people when we are all together) to celebrate both events. I have no idea what food to have or where I'm going to get a cake from -- it needs to be special and we really don't have a very good bakery around here. I wish I could call the Ace of Cakes guy (he's right in Baltimore) but last year when we wanted to order one they were booked for at least a year!! hmmm, maybe we should have placed the order for this year then huh?! oh well, I never was one for thinking that far ahead!

3 comments:

Robin said...

My mom and dad were married on August 16th in Baltimore 58 years ago. Her dress looked just like that. My husband and I married 28 years ago on the same day on the lawn in Tolchester. I wore the same long, sleeved heavy satin gown. Thank goodness it was a lovely day much like today and not the normal 90 some degrees for August.

Mary said...

Hi Robin! You were lucky! My sister got married 38 years ago in August but she didn't wear the dress. It's a shame that neither one of us wore it. I think my Mom would have liked that. It is a beautiful dress.

Jackie said...

I thgink I needed that little pouch! Especially the money bit.
Why don't you make a cake?