Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Taking It Easy

Since all my laundry and cleaning were done before I left on vacation last week, I've been able to take it easy this week. I've been doing a little sewing. I'm still working on some mini quilts and I've been making some dolls.

I love to bead them. They feel really good in my hand while I'm working on them -- I can't explain it, but it just has this really cool feeling to it. And I like how small they are. I've never liked dolls that look like babies. I really love old, small, crafty hand sewn dolls. I like the symbolism of dolls (human figure) in culture. In this book...

they talk about how in Russia they used small dolls to protect the family.
Depending on what they are stuffed with ... stuffed with linen they protected the women; if masticated bread they protected the children; If ash from the hearth they protected the whole family. If the head was an egg they protected the fertility of the family and land. I don't believe in charms and powers associated with objects like this, but I love the history of it, the tradition. I like the meanings behind objects and images/shapes. I find it fascinating. So anyhoo, the book above and this one finally came yesterday...

And this one with beautiful embroidered fabrics! Another favorite topic of mine.

And on another topic...This is Sheldon our Pincushion urchin.

He likes to collect shells and stuff from the aquarium. I like the new chapeau he's sporting. It's the suction cup that was on the side of the tank for feeding the Tangs sea weed. And this is our Elephant Ear mushroom...


He's a really pretty sea glass green. Anyway, as we were checking out the guy tells us that he eats fish. Mark says "oh, okay. What kind?" -- The kind in your tank! -- GREAT! So Kellie is a nervous wreck that he's going to eat our fish. So far so good. The guy did say that it's a one in a million chance. Lets hope he leaves everyone alone! We had a little scare when the shrimp was cleaning him and he started to close around the shrimp. Lots of yelling "Shrimpie got out! Look out - he's closing on you!" Yeah, Kellie was pretty distressed but everything was fine.

He looks like this when he's all closed up...

I think he's cool and thought you might like to see him.

2 comments:

Jackie said...

Sheila Paine is on my mind at the moment. We have just book a very short 5 day holiday in Marrakesh ooohh i'm sooo excited and one of the people in the group went there a few years ago with sheila paine on a textile trip so I'm hoping we'll have bit of second hand sheila paine when we go.
Its not till next March.

Randi said...

Interesting info about the dolls. Thanks for sharing!