Thursday, July 31, 2008

Finished!!!

Ahhh, I worked on this all day Tuesday - and skipped school ;O) - and finished this...





I'm liking it now that it's finished. The beading was really fun to do - as usual.


I've been quilting for a little over 20 years and I've learned several tips along the way and as I was laying this quilt out yesterday...




I thought I would share this little quilty tip with you ... Next to a 1/4 inch foot for your machine, this little gadget is a must have...





It's a peep hole from the home improvement store. I don't have a design wall so I have to lay everything out on the floor. After I lay out my blocks I step back (or get on a chair) and look through the peep hole. It reduces the quilt and you can immediately see if something isn't right (like your color placement). It's cheap, it's tiny, and you need one! I have three...one in my sewing box, one in my sewing area (because much to my husbands irritation my sewing machine is never in my sewing area!), and one in my purse. Why in my purse you ask - well you never know when you might stop for some fabric shopping and when you stack up your bolts to decide what to buy for a quilt you pull out your little handy dandy peep hole and it reduces the stack so you can get a better feel for how they will work together. You would be surprised at the difference it makes when you look at the color through this thing. So anyhoo...there is my quilty tip of the day.

4 comments:

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Love your clever little gadget - i will ahve to look out for one of those! Love the sequin and bed embellishments - just beautiful!

Bronwyn said...

What a fabulous quilty tip - I love the idea of taking the peephole to the shop to help decide on fabric. Your mini quilt is divine and I have love reading through your blog - keep posting!

Annie said...

I love that quilt - both of them actually, and the peep hole idea is superb. Is it just one the installs in a door??? I am going to investigate as I usually just blurr my eyes a little, but I like the idea of being an official Quilt Pirate! Thanks.

Julz said...

Hi Mary; thanks for visiting my blog - was just reading your story about Kellie and her worm OMG I was visualising the poor work st-et--ch---ing... Love the wee quilt with the beading and sequins really pretty. Will pop by and visit you again soon. Hugs Jx