Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Feeling Much Better

Ahhh, beach was beautiful! weather was beautiful! Howard was ... a mess. Actually it was very funny on Wednesday afternoon. I had to take Howard to the vet before we left for the beach because he had a hot spot and wasn't eating. Called vet to make appointment. Vet wanted me to give Howard two pills that would relax him before we got there so that they would be able to look at his belly without him trying to eat them alive (Howard is very very scared of the vet. He shakes so badly that his tags on his collar rattle -- poor dog). So one hour before appointment I give him the two pills and go upstairs to take my shower. Come down to get Howard and leave. Howard is COMPLETELY drugged out. He slid off the sofa and when he looked at me I'm sure he saw at least three of me! Can I just tell you that trying to move a 130 pound wet noodle through the house and out the front door was hard enough but I almost cried when I got him to my Expedition and realized that I was going to have to lift him (first the front half and then the back half) into the car! I'm sure the neighbors got a good laugh watching the entire episode! I know I was laughing so hard I darn near peed my pants! Well when we got to the vet he was flying quite high so he was very good. Although I must say I will never give him that drug again. They will just have to pump him full of dog treats next time and maybe muzzle him, but NO MORE DRUGS! A few hours later we arrive at the beach in the middle of a terrible storm. I get Howard out of the car just as this lightning flashes and I have to tell you I thought I was dead! It sounded like it was right over my head. And with the flash and simultaneous boom came massive amounts of rain. And Howard...Howard who is afraid of thunder and lightning...Howard freezes! I couldn't make him move. I'm pulling. I'm pushing. I'm begging. I'm yelling. No deal. It was like trying to move a bolder up hill. Not going to happen. Meanwhile I'm getting wetter and wetter and wetter and lightning is all around us and we are under an enormous tree. Yeah, I was pretty sure that we were going to die. And where is my family...safe inside completely oblivious to my peril! Finally even Howard had had enough of the storm and cooperated with going inside. The next day was gorgeous though. Perfect beach weather.


We took a walk in the park on the bay side.


Very nice. That is until some crazy woman let her child run RUN up to Howard screaming with his hands waving!!! Howard thought I was under attack and lunged and growled like he was going to take the kid down before he could hurt me. I was so angry...HELLLLOOOO, he's not stuffed people! Lets not run up to a strange dog yelling and waving arms! Idiots. Then we went for some ice cream. Howard is partial to soft swirl vanilla from Dumser's. Very yummy.

We came home early and took the kids to the National Aquarium in Baltimore. We had a really nice time -- crowds weren't too bad (surprisingly).
Clearly, I didn't look at the background of this photo before I took it. I'm sure I could have been a little more choosy here, but oh well. :O)

Then we went to Fogo de Chão for lunch. It's really good, but you have to like meat. I love grilled meat, but even I don't want to see meat of any kind for at least a week! Jason and Molly loved it! Kellie thought it was funny that every time we flipped her little card a man would appear with some kind of grilled meat for her to try! And Ryan wouldn't eat a thing because if it's not Chicken Tenders with fries he's not happy! So much for expanding his palate. All around great weekend.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

I'm glad you had a good time but poor you with Howard under the tree! (Don't you know never shelter under a tree in a thuinderstorm! I do worry about you!)
Glad the kids had fun too.