Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Lessons Learned in the last 24 hours

I have learned two very important lessons in the past 15 hours and I feel it's my duty to the world to pass them on...

1. Don't have a temper tantrum in front of teens.

Picture if you will 9:45pm. 42 year old mother returning home after a grueling 2 hours of court reporter theory class where she is trying to learn a code concocted by some sadist who should be shot. She enters the home to find...

1. first grader still up, teeth not brushed

2. fifth grader still up, teeth not brushed, homework not finished

3. All the dirty dishes from dinner piled, still filled with what was left of dinner, in the sink and precariously stacked with quiet a list going on and Howard steppin up to help.

4. Husband on sofa reading

5. teen daughter on computer IMing her 20 closest friends - all at the same time

6. teen son on XBOX360 Live killing everyone in sight

Haggard 42 year old mother goes into a temper tantrum any 3 year old would envy. Read with squeaky imminent nervous breakdown voice: "Well, isn't this nice that I'm back in school to learn this God forsaken code to get a job so that my precious children can go to any college they wish without a care...never mind that I did the laundry, made dinner and oh yes, drove Jason to drivers ed and Molly to her play practice and what do I get...A sink full of dirty dishes at damn near 10 o'clock at night with a clean dishwasher mere inches away! And kids who should have been in bed at 8:30 are still running around. And don't even tell me that the dogs haven't been fed or that Norman hasn't had his medication!!!! You have about 30 seconds to get this together before I flip out! One of these days I'm going to pack my bags and move to New York and go to the Rhode Island School of Design and I'll see you once a year when I visit! Maybe! (so there)

Jason: Ah, Mom I hate to break it to you but that school isn't in New York it's in Rhode Island and I'll tell you what you always told me...anything you pack during this temper tantrum you'll have to put away yourself cause I'm not helping. BAAHHHHAHAAHAHAH!

Me: Shut up Jason!

This morning. Screw the diet! I'm having left over Banana Cream Pie THAT I MADE FOR MY PRECIOUS FAMILY YESTERDAY!!!! for breakfast.

2. Cleaning is dangerous business.

What I really want to do today is get out my sewing machine and sew the binding and sleeve on a few little quilts and get them hung. But first, I better vacuum since I'm apparently still here and God knows no one else is going to do it. And I really should do some school work before fun stuff like sewing. So, I drag out the vacuum and I'm going to be supper speedy with this because if nothing else I'm efficient if not under appreciated. I'm vacuuming, vacuuming, vacuuming! Then I go to step up into the kitchen from the family room with the vacuum in hand and....fall, splat, flat on my face in a heap of cord and machine - it wasn't quiet or lady like. It was so impressive, my triple lutz, that Norman got up from Howard's bed to see and Howard looked over the back of the couch from his nap like...What the hell? So now I have a bruise on both knees, five more pounds on my body from that pie and haven't even started the school work yet! and by 2:15 dear sweet teens will need their personal servant to be in fine form and on the ball to fulfill their every demand!

I am getting a little revenge though...Tuna fish sandwiches and Mac and Cheese for dinner tonight and tomorrow...screw the cleaning, I'm sewing! hehehe - Jason hates tuna sandwiches and homemade mac and cheese. BAHAHHAHHAHAHHA! :o)

2 comments:

mommiemarzie said...

I think you are justified in that temper tantrum! Nothing like coming home to a mess and feeling under appreciated and not getting your own time to do "me" things. So go on and sew!!!
-Kathy

miss chris said...

OK. I had to laugh because... yep. That's the way it is.

And I happen to have a working knowledge of the CR industry, so I can understand how fried your brain was to begin with.

Love Jason's comeback though. Twerp.

Mac and cheese and tuna, baby! You deserve it! xoxoxo